Wednesday, March 30, 2011

HealthiFood Basic Brown Rice

Soaking brown rice is one of my biggest cooking secrets! I couldn't get my husband to touch the stuff before I came up with this. Feel free to add as much vegetable puree as your family will allow and to season your rice however you want. I even use this basic rice (purees and all) to make fried rice. Why go brown? Think whole grain and 3.5 g fiber per cup!

Combine in a rice cooker or pot:
 1 c brown rice
2 c water

Soak together, covered, all day, over night, or at least a few hours. When ready, cook rice according to package directions (on the stove or in a cooker) until excess water is boiled off.

Add and thoroughly combine:
2 T cauliflower puree
1 T butternut squash puree


Serve with your entree and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment