Friday, April 8, 2011

Golden Chowder

I don't know about you, but it's still snowing off and on here, so it's still soup season to me! Ever since I learned how to make my own delicious soups, I don't even like them from a can unless it's an emergency (like I'm too sick to cook or something). This is one of my favorites--colorful, creamy, and delicious. The original recipe, "Corn and Potato Chowder with Butternut Squash and Ham" from Lynda's Recipe Box, uses cubed butternut squash, but I keep puree on hand and I don't think my menfolk will eat cubed squash, so that's one of my main alterations. To be honest, other than the half and half, the original recipe is pretty healthy already. But here is how I like to make it, which also cuts each serving down by 50 calories and 4 grams of fat.

Golden Chowder

Melt in a large pot:
1 T butter or margarine

Add and roast, stirring often:
2 c frozen corn 
Add and keep stirring frequently:
1/2 c diced ham (or any other cooked meat like bacon or I've even done bologne)
2 cups diced potatoes
1 rib celery, finely chopped
2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp black pepper (freshly ground, if possible)
dash of paprika

Add and bring to a boil:
3 c vegetable or chicken bouillon or broth

Simmer until potatoes are very tender.

Turn heat to low and stir in:
1 c butternut squash puree
1 c frozen mixed vegetables

Mix in a separate bowl before adding to soup:
2 T whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c milk

Let soup thicken, salt it to taste, and you're done! Makes about 7 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment